Its small square is dominated by the English Church (Engelse Kerk), built in the 15th century.The oldest remaining building of the city is the Oude Kerk (Old Church).Today, they are offices of banks and cultural organizations, as well as homes of the well-to-do.One of the beautiful mansions open to the public is the Van Loon Museum at Keizersgracht 627.The Old Church's tower offers a spectacular view of the city and can be visited from April until September.Opening hours and entrance fees: to the Wallen, the Waag, a massive medieval building that dominates the Nieuwmarkt square, is reminiscent of the old city wall for which it served as a gateway. It is worthy of a visit because of its hidden attractions, such as the old surgeon's theatre "theatrum anatomicum" on the upper floor.
Opening hours and entrance fees: remarkable edifice dating from the 17th century is the Westerkerk at Prinsengracht 279.
Dating from 1672, the house was first the residence of one of Rembrandt's most famous pupils, painter Ferdinand Bol.
Along with the beautifully decorated interiors many paintings, porcelain, silver and original furniture are on display.
Located in the heart of the Wallen quarter (today's Red Light District), the Old Church was built around 1250 as a Catholic church.
Since its inauguration in 1306 by the Bishop of Utrecht the church has been subject of many extension works, the most radical of them occurring during the Reformation of 1578.